Monday 29 October 2012

Ship Building (4) - viking ship complete

I wanted to be able to remove the sail from a ship, to get at figures on deck while gaming, so needed some sort of 'clip-on' concept. Finally came up with using the plastic spiral document binders (used the 6mm ones). Cut of some of the tabs and shorted the remainder so there is a small gap to fit over the spar.
The 'clip-on' sail in place ....
Trial concept for a furled sail, using similar method ....
I gave the furled sail a wash of colour and tied the sail round at various points with brown thread, shown fitted to the ship...
The viking ship with its sail and a few shields - on its maiden voyage

---oXo---
 
next - finish off the Saxon ships and consider whether to have oars and oarsmen

8 comments:

Springinsfeld said...

Absolutely wonderful, watched The 13th warrior last night, so thought I would look in for some Viking inspiration. Sorry I haven't been commenting recently, just very busy.
best regards
Mike

Mosstrooper said...

What a fine looking ship !

Fitz-Badger said...

ah, excellent idea! ship looks great, too. :)

Bezzo said...

You are just so productive! - makes me ashamed of how little I actually do.

And the end results are always attractive and useable. Top stuff

wardy-la said...

Excellent work - really quite effective!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

Excellent work! Must revisit all this when I get primed to do some Prince Valiant ships.

Unknown said...

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing your experiences and photos here. Gave me the confidence to build my own boats using your posts as a guide.