Sunday 19 February 2012

Viking Camp ..

For some time I have been considering adding some tents to form part of a camp. I recently purchased 'Construye Este Poblado Vikingo' (picture of booklet shown here ), which is really 1:87 but has some great content - one of which is a small plain coloured tent. So a quick scan in and magnification by approx 1.5 gave me a base template to work from. Instead of keeping the tent plain I changed it to stripes, printing it out on 210gm white card - I printed 5 with different coloured stripes.

Picture below shows one tent assembled and stuck onto a base, with the next template ready to cut out; the end frames have been positioned ready to be stuck onto some 2mm thick card.
After sticking the end supports onto thin card and cutting them out I painted the edges with a light brown colour - then stuck onto the tent ends.  A wash of light brown was applied to the tent to tone down the colours. Then the base was painted and some static grass applied. I made up a total of 5 tents and made a fire up from some small stones and spare bits of plastic. 

The viking camp ....
the tents are probably not 100% historically correct (would probably have had the tent material over the wooden A frame ends) but they look OK to me ..

4 comments:

Paul O'G said...

OK? They look great! The fire looks awesome too. Now you need a bunch of drunk vikings to sit around and guard the camp!

Dan said...

Excellent those are great!

Rodger said...

Great stuff. They look great.

El Senyor Verd said...

Great idea. Thanks for share it.